Thursday, October 17, 2013

A Book-Lover's Paradise

There's something about old houses....the lovely creak of hardwood floors, imperfect plaster walls, beautiful moldings, solid-wood doors, cast iron tubs, interesting little built-in features and charming antique fixtures. To me they all say "home" in a way that new houses can't.  They have history, that have character, and above all, they have quirks.  I adore quirky houses!

My house has none of that.  Okay, so maybe it has quirks, but not the charming kind.  I saw this photo on Pinterest tonight and instantly fell in love.  This is definitely NOT a new house.

Reece Witherspoon’s Ojai, California home in Elle Décor
(Reece Witherspoon’s Ojai, California home in Elle Décor)

There are so many things to love here:  the little arched closet doors, the mismatched but very interesting light fixtures, the casual mix of pattern and color, the soft plaster walls, the arched doorways, the ceiling detail and the wide-plank hardwood floors.  What I love most though is the built-in reading nook.  Oh heaven!  I just want to dive in and curl up with a good book.  It looks so peaceful and inviting, not to mention decidedly feminine.  (My house is pretty much all "boy" at the moment.)  I think I may need a little reading nook like this.  And a little pink to top it off wouldn't hurt either.  

No comments:

Post a Comment