Thursday, August 29, 2013

First-Day Jitters




This week is a busy one for our family.  School is starting back up and everyone is trying to adjust to the new schedule.  In anticipation of a little craziness, I choose to "not work" on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  I've been catching up on emails, giving the house a thorough clean, and trying to strategize my work load for the next few months.  Last night, as I laid down in bed, my head was spinning and sleep was eluding me.  In exasperation, I got up several times, trying work on things around the house while my husband and boys lay snug in their beds, contentedly sawing logs.  How ironic I thought: "I'm not the one starting school tomorrow and here I am, showing signs of first-day jitters!"  (Confession time: I'm the worrier in the family.)

This morning, my husband's alarm rang bright and early.  He's a high-school English teacher and today was his first day back in the classroom with students.  When the alarm went off, I must have finally been tired enough to sleep because I only vaguely remember feeling mild levels of irritation as he turned on lights, started the shower and rummaged around in the closet for clothes. I fell back asleep before I got a chance to say good-bye, so I hope he had a great first day and found his new students fun and interesting.  I know he loves his job and will probably come home tonight with great stories to share.




My alarm went off an hour and a half later.  Feeling horribly groggy, I stumbled my way to the kitchen and started to make a coffee.  I had barely settled down in my comfy chair, when who should come strolling out of his room, but Jasper, my eldest.  (Apparently kids at his age don't need alarm clocks.  I swear mine have mommy-radar. As soon as I'm up and moving around, they wake up too.)  Today was also Jasper's first day of school. He's starting 1st grade and excited to see his friends again.  Excited--but not so brave that he didn't timidly ask if I could drive him to school and walk him to his classroom.  Of course I obliged.  Can you blame me?  Look at this cute grin!

 Karsten, my youngest, got to spend the day hanging out with me.  It's been pretty chill around here and the house seems eerily quiet with half the family gone.  So quiet that Karsten fell asleep next to me, despite the fact that he hasn't been a regular napper in over a year. His "first day" is coming next week, when he starts preschool for the first time.  He's my introvert--quieter than his older brother and much more independent. This independence means he's not the clingy type, so (thankfully), I don't anticipate tears on his big day next week.

What a cutie!  I can't believe my baby is growing up.

Then there's me.  Today isn't my first day of school, but it is the start of a big "first."  Today I said "yes" to a new gig--something I never in my life thought I'd be doing.  I'm going to give teaching a try.  Green River Community College contacted me to ask if I'd be willing to teach a one-night-a-week continuing ed class on the basics of interior design.  It was out of the blue and completely caught me off guard.  However, I always love a challenge and couldn't resist the opportunity to try something new.  I've been working in my profession now for over 15 years, and running my own business for over 9, so sharing what I know shouldn't be too difficult.  I do this with my clients on a daily basis and this type of "teaching" seems like second nature at this point.  However, sitting down one-on-one with a client is a little different than standing in front of a classroom. I know for a fact I will be having MAJOR first-day jitters three months from now when the class starts, and probably feeling the effects of not much sleep the night before.  But hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained! You only live once and I hope I never stop trying new things.  I'm also extremely grateful for a family and husband who support me in my pursuit of new experiences and business ventures.  I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment